Thursday 24 July 2014

Scottish Scorcher Surprise


Yes my grand plan of competitions for all of last week has died off in the shock of a rare stunner of a Scottish Summer. Between a hectic broiling in the workplace, and lurking around my house searching for a cool spot; I am more than a little worn out and starting to melt.


This is honestly the first consistently warm Summer for 3 years (the first my very youngest has ever endured), and its fair to say its an up hill battle. The last time I was 8 months pregnant and fit enough to be trekking on five mile marches with the two bigger ones and the Controller, now the extra years and cakes are definitely taking their toll.

When you only have two weeks of 20 degree temperatures spread out through the year its easy to excuse lack of exercise and junk food as preparation for the next Ice Age. In reality perhaps my winter layer of fat was a mistake, I know I definitely regret my bristling legs.

Almost half way through the Summer holidays and even the children are looking forward to a snowball fight! Ice poles are decimated daily, and the ice-cream van hasn't been heard since the sun appeared (perfectly normal for my area!).
I am starting to feel my advancing years, as I sit in the shade with a portable fan, I never thought I would wish for a good thunderstorm to actually cool things down. Though I will definitely never say 'I wish it was Winter', I will say I wish I was fitter. Or at least less lazy.



No comments:

Post a Comment