Thursday 20 November 2014

On The Fence ~ Or In My Face

Have you ever had that awkward moment when some one shares their opinion, only for you to sit in stunned silence because its exactly what you told them days ago. We've all had that happen I'm sure, most likely a sign that they were only half listening at the time (if at all!). The real fun lies when you've had a strong debate (shouting match) about it hours or days ago, which ended with you being told how unformed and stupid your views were.

I know that two strong minded people will often be at loggerheads, especially when one is so pedantic they feel the need to do in depth research before committing to a standpoint. Why is it easier to just blanket the other with belittling insults, when simply saying that you know nothing about the subject is easier and less hassle. I take no offence if some-one comes back to me later with enough information to talk about the subject or even to change my mind. That's fine, in fact I believe it's called debate. Debate is good and I'm more than happy with standing on the other side of the fence.

Its is frankly insulting that my views matter so little to you, and even more insulting that when others share my viewpoint, you are suddenly willing to listen. Don't expect me to keep a straight face when you grandstand my 'stupid' ideas to all, I will laugh. Loudly and with as much sarcasm as I can muster.

Perhaps I'm just a naturally angry person, or too sensitive to imagined slights, I just think that the need to be heard is strong in everyone. It's not as if I'm advocating genocide or hurting small animals, so why should my views be deemed irrelevant. I won't blame the cop-outs of sexism or even ageism so what is left but ignorance and disrespect?

To all those jumping up and down on the fence railing about how wrong I am, only to come back days later and claim my opinion as their own: Grow Up!




No comments:

Post a Comment